The Musketeers.42 Kingston Street, Glasgow. G5 8BP. Tel: 01414295390.
In the past this pub has been known as the William P McMahon's Little Brown Jug, The Diadem, The Back Page, Standard Enquirer, Musketeers, The Weigh Inn, and the Local. The last time I passed this pub it was closed down, Dec 2014.
William P McMahon standing outside his premises the Little Brown Jug. Thanks to Louis McMahon for this great image.
The history of this old pub can be traced back to 1885, when wine and spirit merchant John Brown acquired a licence to sell wines, spirits and beer at 42 King Street, Tradeston now Kingston Street. Mr John Brown also owned the Tron Bar in Bedford Street.
In 1890 John was living with his family at 38 Paterson Street before moving to better accommodation at 248 Albert Road, Pollokshields. John's son Hugh Walker Brown took over the business in 1898 paying an annual rent of £55.
Hugh continued to run the pub until 1925. James Forbes then took over the pub, he only lasted in the pub for a year before William McLanchlan acquired the business. Mr McLanchlan lived at Fernie Street, Maryhill, he sold up in 1929 to publican Patrick Garvie. Mr Garvie sold the pub in 1936.
Wine and spirit merchant William (Bill) Peter McMahon then acquired the licence. William was a well known and respected member of the Scottish Licensed Trade. Bill was in the army during the First World War with his brothers. Bill was also a keen boxer in the forces, when he came out of the Army he still boxed with the St. Andrew's Boxing Club as an amateur.
During the Glasgow City Redevelopment Scheme in the early 1970s which saw many old businesses and housing being bulldozed and the tenement building above his pub being demolished, Bill got out of the business altogether and closed the pub.
The pub was then taken over by Patrick V Walker in 1971. Kenneth Skea in 1991.
The Weigh Inn 1994.
The Local, 42 Kingston Street. Dec 2014.
Can you add anything to the History of this old Pub, if so PLEASE get in touch email@example.com