55 Kingston Street, Glasgow. G5.
There’s been a pub on this site since 1863. James Alexander took over this pub in 1893 it stayed in the Alexander family until the 1960s. This pub has also been known as Alexander’s, The Ship and McGill’s. Now closed down and used as a store for an Asian shop.
The Alexander's also had a pub on Bridge Street this pub is now known as the Laurieston.
James Alexander was born on a farm in Raisemill, Inverkeilor, Forfarshire. James entered the licensed trade when he was 14 years of age under Mr John McIntyre, spirit merchant in Arbroath. His next move was to Dundee and entered the wholesale wine trade where he remained until 1889. When James came to Glasgow he was employed by Robert Bowes, first in his pub in North Frederick Street and was then promoted to manager of Bowes pub in Caledonia Road, Gorbals. Alexander left here in 1891 to manage the Strathendrick Vaults now Dows in Dundas Street.
James Alexander was a member of the Wine Spirit & Beer Trade Association, a keen freemason, in his spare time he loved bowling and cycling.
McGill's Bar. 1990s