Uisge beatha.232 Woodlands Road, G3 6ND. Tel: 01413320473.
Uisge Beatha. 1991.
Uisge Beatha meaning Water of Life, sold ales from the Glaschu Brewery which closed it's doors in 1996, the local residents complained repeatedly about the smell from the micro brewery.
In latin distilled liquid became known as "Aqua Vitae" or "water of life." The celts for auae vitae is uisce breatha and its shortened form gives us the word whisky.
There has been a pub on this site since 1905, James Young McLaren was licensee here until the end of the First World War. The pub then was very small and nothing like it is today. When the Second World War broke out Ernest Sydney Gilmour was the landlord of this old pub.
In 1955 well known and respected Glasgow publican George Grier took over the pub and the neighboring shops which was Isa McLardy, confectioner, Kirkwood's boot makers and Robertson's electrical engineers. The pub was then called the 3 in 1Bar which consisted of a main bar, a lounge and a cocktail bar.
To read more on the Grier family and their pubs click here.
During the 1960s and 70s James Grieve was running this pub.
The pub is now called the Dram.