The Nipp.418 Parliamentary Road, Glasgow.
The Nipp was situated on Parliamentary Road at the corner of Killermont Street.
There was a pub on this site since at least the 1860s.
The first licensee was a gentleman called Colin More who was trading from these premises in 1860. He lived with his family at 10 Killermont Street a few yards from his place of business. Mr More was first a spirit merchant but by the 1870s was registered as a wine and spirit merchant. Colin sadly passed away in 1884 aged 66 he may have retired a year earlier a year before.
Titus Mulholland owned the premises in the 1890s which were very much smaller than that of the pub in the 1930s.
Major alterations were carried out in 1939, proprietor James Sutherland had architect James Taylor Thomson, 212 bath Street to draw up plans for the new pub. Two adjacent shops and part of a third shop at the rear was taken over to make the pub very much larger.
The new Nipp consisted of a semi circular bar counter with an over head canopy with tube lighting. Two new sitting rooms were also installed a new office and lavatory accommodation. Central heating was now a new addition to the pub.
Manager of the Nipp was a gentleman called Arthur McGowan. For seventeen years he was employed here, during which time her served six years with the R.A.F. during the war. Nine years of his service was as manager. He then left to manage the Cathcart Bar, Cathcart Road owned by Mr Brash before joining the staff of Campbell Henderson & Co., wholesale and retail wine and spirit merchants and off-licence traders, whose head office was at 220-222 Broomielaw. When this firm was founded in 1910 they had no travellers employed up until around 1949. The firm were proprietors of the well known Strathduie whisky.
Thanks to Fraser Hamilon for the info on Colin More.