The Double Eagle.26 Bedford Street, Gorbals, Glasgow.
The Double Eagle was situated at the corner of Bedford Street and Warwick Street. There was a public house on this site since 1873, licensee John F Neville also ran a pub on Wallace Street at Centre Street. Mr Neville sold the pub to David Anderson in 1883. Mr Anderson employed a barman John Holmes in the 1890s, Mr Holmes then took the important position as charge-hand. On the death of his employer Mr Holmes bought the pub in 1905. John served the locals here until the end of the Second World War.
To read more on Mr Holmes click here.
Mr Patrick Quinn, Peter McCrudden and Mr O D Donnelly were other well known publicans to own this popular establishment. The pub was demolished in the City Council's redevelopment scheme in 1969.