The Clock Bar.
35 Bedford Street, Gorbals.
Two boys on their way to school with the Clock Bar on the right.
The history of this old bar can be traced back to 1844.
In 1844 George Johnston and partner James Neil traded as Johnstone & Neil. George was living not far from the pub at 18 Abbotsford Place and James Neil at 17 Bedford Street.
Within a few years things were looking up for the partners, and business was good. George was now living at 111 Hill Street, Garnethill while James was residing at Coustenholm, Pollokshaws.
In 1860 George Johnston jun had the title of Counting house, South area, Royal Exchange and Wine Merchant & Agent at 15 Bedford Street and was living at 55 Cumberland Street.
Clock Bar this time with two young ladies.
In 1878 the address of the pub was 35 Bedford Street sitting at the corner of Abbotsford Lane. The pub was now under the control of licensee John Ferguson.
Well known and respected Wine & Spirit Merchant Thomas Gallacher took over the pub in 1883. The locals called the pub Gallacher's. Many locals in the Gorbals named their pub after the owners and sometimes the pub had a name above the door.
Mr Gallacher also ran a public house at 23 Crown Street.
Another well know publican to own the pub was William Sweeney. One of the last licensee's was William McAfee who had the pub in 1960.