The Red House.97 Ingram Street,Glasgow.
Toast to the King of the Nabs. 1970.
Top of the racing tipsters poll was Kevin Fitzgerald, Scotia of the Scottish Daily Express. Here the nap specialist- winner of the handsome silver "Sporting Life" trophy- is pouring out the celebration drinks behind the bar of the Red House Ingram Street, Glasgow. Cheering him to the national tipsters' winning post are all his regulars plus extra support from manageress Mrs Nan Graham and her father Mr James Ross.
The Red sat at the corner of 93-97 Ingram Street and 120 Candleriggs. In the 1860s the Union Bank of Scotland and R Thomson & Company, Merchants sat on the site where the Red House was.
The pub was originally called "William Kerr & Co.," in the 1890s William Kerr & Company was trading not just as wine & spirit merchat but were also wholesale Wine & Spirit Merchants and traded as Flour and Grain Merchants at 42 Hope Street. Mr Kerr was lkiving at 260 West George Street not very far away from his businesses.
A few years later in 1895 James Steel Fisher was licensee for William Kerr & Co., Mr J S Fisher. M.A. was formerly manager for British Legal Assurance Co. The rent for the premises in that year was £17. 5 shillings per annum. James continued as licensee until 1917 when a mamber of the Kerr family took over the running of the business. Edwin John Kerr Stirrat was then trading as William Kerr & Co.
The business was sold off and in 1933 William L McMechan was running the pub, he also owned a public house at 147 New City Road at the corner of Rosehall Street (Philip Duffy's old pub) and lived at 1997 Great Western Road.
In 1960 William C McMillan was running the Red House, he was also licensee for a pub on the Broomielaw (Minstrels, the pub with the boat hanging above the pub,) and 76 Glassford Street (the Blane Valley) all Scottish & Newcastle breweries pubs. William L McMechan was then transferred to the Glen Douglas at 529 Balmore Road near Lambhill, Glasgow.
In October 1971 Eric MacKenzie Mackie was licensee he also held the licence for premises at 380-82 Springburn Road, (Smith's Kerry Inn,) and the Kimberley Queen at 1137 Tollcross Road.