Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


Griers sign

Grier's Bar.

24 Bogbain Road, Easterhouse, Glasgow.



Grier's Bar. 1991.

To read the full history of the Grier family click here.

Grier's Bar 2005

Grier's November 2005.



George Grier owned other popular bars in the city of Glasgow including the 123 Bar, at 123 Glebe Street. This old pub dates back to the 1860s when James Inglis traded here, Mr Inglis lived round the corner at 97 Parliamentary Road. In the 1890s Louis Gallen took over the old business, he continued to serve the locals here until 1904. The licence was then transfered to Thomas Murphy. He also owned a pub at 54 Adelphi Street, Gorbals in the South Side of the City. William Anderson then took over the bar until George Grier took over in the 1930s. George Grier then changed the name of the pub to 123 Bar which was formerly called the Black Bull. To read more on the Grier family click here.

Some of the pubs the Grier family owned were the Trossachs Bar in 31 Parson Street, Townhead, 3 in 1 Bar, 238 Woodlands Road, Nia Roo, 599 Nitshill Road, Square Rig, Crossland Road, Govan, The 111 Bar in Castle Street and the Anchor Bar in Kelvinhaugh Street.

New in Feb., 1970...

Glasgow's New President

Mr. George A Grier is the new president of the Glasgow and District Licensed Trade Defence Association. He succeeded Mr. Donald A MacLean in the position last week at a meeting of the board of the Association.

George Grier 1970

George Grier, third from the left, accepts chain of office from Donald MacLean. Watching are Peter Smith, Jack Gow, John Flynn, George Ramster, secretary, and Jimmy Milne honorary member. 1970.

Mr Jack Gow was appointed senior vice-president, with John A Flynn as junior vice-president. Mr. Peter Smith was appointed honorary treasurer. The new president belongs to a family well known in Glasgow trade circles. His Father, the late Mr. George Grier, was a director of the Glasgow Association and was its treasurer from 1956 until his death in 1961. Mr. Grier, sen., was also a past president of the Royalty Burns Club.

Mr. Grier's mother, too, has interested herself in trade affairs, and was the first president of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Women's Auxiliary Group, Licensed Trade, formed about ten years ago. The two new vice-presidents also have family backgrounds with the Association.

Mr. Jack Gow, who, incidentally, is chairman of the Scottish Licensed Trade Veto Defence Fund, is the son of the late Mr. W. B. Gow, who served the Association for several years as president and who also served the Scottish Association for a period in a similar capacity, becoming as honorary president of the "Scottish".

Mr John Flynn is the brother of Mr. Thomas A. Flynn , who has held leading offices in the trade, among them being the presidency of both the Glasgow and Scottish Associations, and who is an honorary president of the "Scottish".

Mr. peter Smith is president of the Glasgow Vintners Association.

In the News 1974...

Robert Grier and group of friends 1974

Mr. Jim Estcourt (second left) recently retired after 43 years' service with John Haig & Co. He was presented with a silver salver by Mr. J. C. Kail, West of Scotland manager (third left). With them are Mr. R. T. Grier; Mrs Estcourt; Mr. G. Stewart, Scottish sales director; and Mr. W. A. Morrison. 1974.


Go to top of page