78 Wellington Street, Glasgow.
The Garrick. 1930s.
The Garrick was formerly called the Wellington Bar owned in the 1870s by Matthew Hendrie. The Hendrie family owned this popular bar until the end of WW1.
In 1894 regular drinker John Craig aged 66 died suddenly in the pub. Mr Craig was an old farmer from Bishopbriggs and drank in the pub on a regular basis, he was sitting at his usual small table in the back saloon eating a Welsh Rarebit, he suddenly leaned foreword and placed his head on the table, he died on the spot. Other customers witnessed the event and called for Mr Hendrie who was serving at the time, he then called for a doctor, who confirmed he died of natural causes. The last thing Mr Hendrie wanted was for the regulars to think he died by eating his famous Welsh Rarebits.
The Wellington Bar. 1892.
Mr Hendrie stocked all the best liquor in his premises including his own blend of old Scotch whisky called "The Old Duke," which was very popular amongst the locals. In 1892 the proprietor Mr Matthew Hendrie was the son of Mr Matthew Hendrie senior, the founder of the business. The pub had a reputation of good quality refreshments and good staff, a reputation untarnished by young Mr Hendrie, who inherited much of his father's business tact and gentlemanly demeanour. The restaurant part of the business also had a good reputation for it's fine cuisine, luncheons, suppers and dinners, hot snacks and pie's were always ready at the bar.
The pub had two bars, one on the front and the other in the eastern portion of the building, were always well patronised. The sitting accommodation was ample and the sitting-rooms well furnished and decorated. The dining-hall was large and airy and was always kept in perfect order. The staff of waiters were thoroughly capable men and know perfectly the relationship that should subsist between those behind the bar and those who were being served. When the Glasgow News was in full swing, the literary staff regularly visited the pub, they even had their own apartment.
In 1905 at the Edinburgh High Court there was brought up for sentence a middle aged man named William Mitchell on a charge on the 5th Feb.. in concert with George Green who was then present in Barlinnie Prison, broken into Matthew Hendrie's spirit shop, 78 Wellington Street, and stole a cheque for £6. 4 shillings and a key and secondly with maliciously destroying 8 bottles of whisky, 4 bottles of Brandy, 4 Gallons of Rum, a number of books, several drawings and a desk. It was stated that the prisoner was watching outside and played a very minor part in the affair. The Lord Justice Clerk said it was impossible to deal with the prisoner as other than a criminal of confirmed character. A sentence of 7 years had been followed by 2 of 15 and 18 months respectively and the present offence was committed 2 days after his liberation from prison. In these circumstances his Lordship could only repeat the sentence of 7 years penal servitude.
During the 1930s George William Owen was licensee, he ran some of the best bars in the city of Glasgow including the Bay Horse, West Nile Street, King's Arms, Bath Street and the Empire, West Nile Street.
During the 1960s the pub was run by James Kyles, he also ran the Beresford Bar, Sauchiehall Street.
Daniel McCrudden at the Garrick. 1970.
In 1970 Daniel McCrudden acquired the licence. Daniel took over the Garrick after a spell in Grangemouth. One of his regular customers was Max Bygraves who often dropped in for a meal during his Alhambra theatre seasons. The Garrick was a theatrical pub with hundreds of pictures and playbills on the walls such as the Royal Alexandra Music Hall in Cowcaddens, Theatre Royal, Dunlop Street, the Prince's Theatre, West Nile Street and the Grand Theatre and Opera House in Cowcaddens.
There was an obvious reason for a playbill being prominently displayed, it was the Theatre Royal's programme for the week beginning October 10. 1864, which announced in bold lettering "David Garrick" played by actor Mr Southern.
There was a theatrical menu at the Garrick, a reproduction of the actor's last night programme at the Garrick Theatre, London on Saturday, October 22, 1747.
Inside the bill of fare starts with Act 1, consisting of fruit juices and six other items. Act 2 is soup and right other items; main feature is grills, cutlets and steaks, with supporting cast of mushrooms, peas, celery, etc,; and the finale, of course the sweet and coffee.
In the News 1971...
Old pantomime posters are framed and presented in the Garrick. Souvenir hunters have stolen two of them despite the fact they are more than a yard long. In the photo are Dan McCrudden, owner of the Garrick and Jack House.
In the News 1972...
Advert for the Garrick in 1972.