Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan



Eglinton Street, Glasgow. S.S..

Exterior view of the Coliseum Bar Eglinton Street

Coliseum Bar. Thanks to Norrie McNemee for the image.

The coliseum Bar was named after the Theatre of the same name just a few doors away. The music hall was built in 1903 and opened its doors in 1905 for Moss Empires and designed by renowned architect Frank Matcham. In 1931 it was remodeled as a cinema.

There has been a pub on this site since 1877. The first licence was wine and spirit merchant Patrick McGrail. In 1899 Mr McGrail paid an annul rent of £130 which was quite expensive for a pub of its size in the area. Patrick was living with his family at 10 Kirk Street.S.S before moving to 15 Great Clyde Street (now Clyde Street) in 1914.

One year later Mr Patrick McGrail passed away. His daughter Bridget took over the running of the pub until 1928.

James Molloy a wine & spirit merchant took over the pub in 1929 but lasted only months in the pub before Campbell McFaull took over in 1930.

John Harper took over the licence in 1937 and continued serving the locals well into the 1950s.

Many will still remember Andrew Connor who was landlord in the 1960s, he also ran a pub at 166 Rutherglen Road known as the Ritz, this pub sat at the corner of Florence Street.

One of the last licensee was Ian Boag who took over in October 1969 until the late 1970s.


Go to top of page