The Bears Paw.83 Garscube Road, Glasgow.
The Bear's Paw was situated at the corner of Garscube Road and Burnside Street. In 1863 James Turner acquired a licence to sell spirits in this public house, the following years he took over another pub at 8 Grove Street. The licence stayed in the same family until the outbreak of the First World War. Donald McArthur Finlay then took over the licence, he served his duty behind the bar until the end of the war.
Customers of the Bears Paw ready to board the bus for their annul days outing to the coast.
Other locals of the Bears Paw on their way to the coast.
Edward McCrudden acquired the licence in the 1930s and continued until the end of the Second World War, Eddie was a brother of Daniel McCrudden, and a member of the well known and respected family of Scottish wine and spirit merchants. Another well known member of his family is Raymond McCrudden Hon. member of the Scottish Licensed Trade.
Eddie was a keen golfer and played for the Glasgow Vintners Golf Club, he won the championship, Calder Rose Bowl, at Belleisle, Ayr in 1947 with a score of 79. Eddie and his brother Dan went into partnership and bought the George Hotel in Largs, the two families then moved to the coast, Eddie and his family emigrated to Southern Rhodesia for some time, on returning to Glasgow Eddie bought Kelly’s Bar in Blantyre and later entered into the licensed grocery business where he had a very thriving shop called “Mitchell’s” in Queen Margaret Drive, Eddie retired from the trade when he and his manager were severely beaten up in a hold-up at the premises.
Patrick Doherty took over from Eddie in 1945, Mr Doherty was the last licensee on the premises before the Bear's Paw was demolished in the early 1970s.
Mitchell's Licensed Grocers, Queen Margaret Drive.