William Doherty.The Railway Luncheon Bar, Hamilton.
Mr William Doherty. 1887.
Mr William Doherty was born and bred in Strathaven where he acquired a good education and first learned the trade of hand-loom weaving with Mr William Brown of Ballgreen. On finishing his apprenticeship he began as a traveller and shortly afterwards commenced business as a Draper in Kilmarnock and Muirkirk in partnership with his brother John. On the decease of his mother he returned to Strathaven and started a new business in the Grocery business in 1852.
On the Forbes MacKenzie's bill becoming law he dropped the grocery department. Ten years later he built the Victoria Hotel and Victoria Hall and conducted both most successfully for years. In 1882 he opened a public house at 8-10 Campbell Street, Hamilton. At the same time he purchased a business at 308 Argyle Street, Glasgow, from his old and trusted friend John Mcleod, Auctioneer, this business sat at the corner of Wellington Street where the Waterloo Bar now stands. Three years later he sold the business to wine and spirit Merchant Duncan Cameron.
He then sold his Hamilton business to tenant, his son-in-law John Warren. After selling the Victoria Hotel and Hall to his nephew John who along with Mr Doherty's sister Mrs Thompson he took over the lease of John Miller's property in Cadzow Street, Hamilton and after much delay and refurbishment sold the business. In 1877 Mr Doherty erected Letterleague House, Almada Street, Hamilton at a cost of £3,500 and opened a bar and restaurant there.
William Doherty was very successful here for years, conducting the Railway Luncheon Bar and Restaurant which stood opposite the Central Station, Hamilton.