The Vulcan Bar.426 Springburn Road, Glasgow.
The Vulcan Bar. 1980's.
This was originally MacMillan's Bar, situated at the corner of Springburn Road and Vulcan Street.
The history of this bar can be traced back to 1891 when landlady Mrs Waterson owned the premises, she lived nearby in Hillside Terr. In 1898 John Govan MacMillan took over the licence, he continued in this popular Springburn hostelry for over 40 years. He obtained his first experience in the licensed trade in the office of Messrs MacLeay, Duff & Co., wholesale wine & spirit merchants. After gaining an insight into the wholesale side of the business he took over the licence in Springburn Road. Keenly interested in all matters affecting the trade, Mr MacMillan served for a period as a director of the Board of the Glasgow and District Licensed Trade Defence Association, until ill-health obliged him to resign. He also took a prominent part in Trade Defence matters within his own district and was secretary of his local Ward for a few years.
A postcard with a Tram on Springburn Road with the Vulcan Bar on the left.
Mr MacMillan died in 1940 at his home, Park House, Balgrayhill Road, Springburn, he left his wife and two sons, one of whom was serving in the Forces. Mrs MacMillan then took control of this prosperous business in Springburn. Mr Hugh Ross was the manager of the pub, he served in MacMillan's bar for almost 47 years. He had an unusual hobby, of making rugs and made one for the Red Cross, Charity in 1945, raising £185, 14 shillings and 10 pence. Mr Ross went on to raise money for various charities including the Aid to China, and the Royal Infirmary. Hugh was one of a set of triplets, he had three aunts who were triplets and he had a set of twin daughters.
The Ross family went on to becoming licence holder for these premises during the 1960's.
Mr Hugh Ross with one of his rugs. 1945.
Old postcard Springburn Road with Vulcan Street on the left.