Chapman's.251 Main Street, Rutherglen, Glasgow. G73 2HN.Tel: 01416471987.
There has been licensed premises on this site since at least 1850. The Freebain family occupied the premises for over 30 years. Andrew Freebain lived with his wife Jeanie and had a family of 3 daughters and a son all of whom were born in Rutherglen.
John Fyfe then took over, it stayed in the Fyfe family until the First World War.
Before the war came to an end John Chapman took charge of this popular bar, he lived in Stonelaw Drive before moving to Elm Drive, Burnside. His son Hugh Chapman then took over the business, Hugh became heavily involved in trade affairs and was president of the Cambuslang Defence Association. Cambuslang went dry in 1920 and with the help of William Eadie a local publican and Hugh Chapman the pubs opened again in 1925. Luckily Rutherglen was not affected with the Local Veto Campaign.
This mural was painted on the wall on the upstairs lounge.
Also see Chapman's Bar, Coatbridge.
Manager of Chapman's in 1971 was a Mr Jack Wills, he had 42 years experienve in the business, 35 years in Cambuslang until the premises had to be vacated because of the redevelopment and 7 years in Rutherglen.