The Caledonia Bar.29 Port Dundas Road, Glasgow.
The Caledonia Bar, the photograph was taken from Garscadden Street in the 1920s.
The Squirrel was situated at the corner of Port Dundas Road and Airdrie Street. This photograph was taken in the 1960s just before the old tenement was demolished.
Airdrie Street was once called Garscadden Street, the Squirrel had it's family department (off sales) entrance in this street.
There has been licensed premises on this site since the 1840s. Mrs Elizabeth Bryson traded here as a grocer and spirit dealer.
Another view of the Caledonia Bar in the back ground, the photograph was taken from Port Dundas Road. 1920s.
Andrew Dunn traded as a Provision's merchant and a spirit dealer in the 1850s.
Over the years many spirit dealer have traded from these premises. One of the most prominent gentlemen to hold the licence was William Aird, he took over the pub in 1883, he also ran a pub on Parliamentary Road and Dundas Street, this pub became known as the Variety Bar run by Scots comedian Jock Mills.
The Squirrel bar formerly known as the Caledonia Bar, during the 1930s Donald Crerar jun ran the pub for James McVey Ltd, he also ran pubs at 97 Neptune Street and the Abercorn Bar, 26 Abercorn Street.
The last licence holder for the Squirrel was Francis McNulty, he ran a successful business here from the 1950's, the pub was demolished in the late 1960s.