18 London Street, Glasgow Cross, Glasgow.
In 1852 John Robertson a Victualler traded from here. The following year well known spirit merchant and coach hirer William Abbot took over the premises. William's son took over after his death. William Abbot owned other premises in and around Glasgow, including Hospital Street, Main Street, Maryhill another pub on London Street now London Road and a coach hire business.
In 1890 Matthew Burnside took over the pub and ran this popular establishment until 1899. Matthew was a prosperous businessman and owned five pubs in the east end of the city including two in Dalmarnock Road, Baltic Street and two on London Road.
Matthew's son Robert took over some of the pubs after his death which included Dalmarnock Road, London Street and Boden Street, his other son took control of Dalmarnock Road, Baltic Street, London Street, Houston Street and a pub on Rutherglen Road.
Burnside's at Glasgow Cross was sold in 1904 to the Public House Trust Glasgow District Ltd. a trust of wealthy businessmen in Glasgow with shares of £1, the shareholders were restricted to interest with a maximum rate of 4 per cent. Another Glasgow Public House Trust establishment opened shortly afterwards on Sauchiehall Street and another two outside the city in Stirling and Newton. The licensee for the premises in Glasgow was a Sir John Mann, C.A. K.B.E, and the rent for the property on London Street was £180.
The old pub is now and has been for a number of years been turned into a licensed snooker club which was owned by eccentric Dick Barton, it is now called the Caltonian.