1321 Argyle Street, Yorkhill, Glasgow. G3 Tel: 01413340594.
Built in 1877 and known as the Wheat Sheaf, it takes it's name from the fact that this part of the city was once covered by fields and wheat sheaf's.
The first licensee for the newly built property was wine & spirit merchant James Meiklem Coubrough, who formerly owned an old tavern at the corner of Anderston Quay and Washington Street. Mr Coubrough took advantage of the great Exhibition which was across the road, all the best catering and beverages were stoked at the Wheat Sheaf which was one of the cleanest public houses in the area, the large mirrors and tables were spotless, the brass was polished like gold, nothing was out of place here and only the best of everything was stocked. Mr Coubrough prided himself in a first class establishment a rule he adhered to on starting the business. An old show-card hung on one of the walls in the back saloon "James Steel's Mild Ales, Craigend Brewery, Edinburgh," a reminder of a long and forgotten brewery. Mr Counrough's family, for generations came from Stirlingshire but James was born in Glasgow and was proud of the fact he was a Glaswegian. Mr Coubrough continued as licensee until 1896, the licence was transferred to James Clark a well known and respected member of the Scottish Licensed Trade.
Etch of the Wheat Sheaf 1887.
James Clark ran pubs in Jackson Street, Dunlop Street and the Sheddens, Busby. The Jackson Street premises were demolished when the railway company took over the ground. Mr Clark also ran a good public house, he stocked a vast range of rare Old Scotch Whiskies. In his spare time he was regularly seen shooting, golfing and bowling. A free mason of Lodge 458, he was chosen R. W. M. in the late 1890s. Having resided in Busby for many years he was better known in this district than in the city center. He was a member of the Perthshire Society, the Glasgow Southern Merchants, the Corporation Masons and Anderston Weavers.
Another well known spirit merchant to own the pub was Alexander Duthie, he payed an annul rent of £92 for the property in 1907. Mr Duthie also had licensed premises on Adelphi Street and Wallace Street. Alexander continued to serve the locals until the end of the First World War.
Over the years the pub has been known under different names such as The Wheaf Sheaf, Robert Clark's Exhibition Bar, Fraser's, The Frying Pan Bar, Windjammer and is now called Firebird. Jim and wife Margaret Claven managed the Frying Pan Bar before immagrating to Australia in 1968. They also managed the Waldorf Bar in Cambridge Street.