The Strathmore Bar.
795 Maryhill Road, Maryhill, Glasgow. G20 7TL. Tel: 01419456402.
The Strathmore Bar. 1991.
The Strathmore was originally called the Castle Vaults and owned by George & John MacLachlan, wholesale and retail wine & spirit merchants and brewers.
The Strathmore can be traced back to 1877 when John MacLachlan obtained a licence to sell wines, spirits and beers. The address of the premises then was Gairbraid Street, in 1899 the rent for the pub was only £95.00 per annum. John MacLachlan died in 1903 shortly afterwards many of the firms pubs both in Glasgow and the West of Scotland including hotels were sold off.
George Haxton took over the licence in 1918, George also owned the Balmore Bar, Saracen Street, Possilpark, Glasgow. George ran a successful business for many years, the family succeeded in the licensed trade in both these premises through two world wars.
In 1967 Tennent Caledonian Breweries took control of this popular Maryhill local, John MacAdam acted as licensee for the Strathmore, he was also licensee for pubs in Littlehill Street, Springburn Road and two pubs in Saracen Street.
The Strathmore. 2005.
What a transformation, the bar now look very much better.