11 Crown Street, Gorbals, Glasgow. S.S.
M. Fearon. 11 Crown Street 1920s. Michael Fearon on the left with head barman. Thanks to Ian Rodger and Charlie Fearon for the images.
This old public house was first licensed in 1872 by wine and spirit merchant Helen McIntyre. Before that Thomas Lipton, Butter and Egg Merchant traded from this site.
The licence was taken over by James McIntyre in 1884 probably her son. The following year we see another publican taking over the premises by the name of James McDougall.
Interior view with Michael Fearon on the left with head barman.
Andrew Kerr took over in 1886. Mr Kerr was a well known wine and spirit merchant in the Scottish Licensed Trade. Mr Kerr continued as licensee until 1912.
Michael Fearon acquired the licence in 1913 just before the First World War. He couldn't have pick a worst time to buy a pub. However he continued to struggle through the wartime and sold up in 1928. Michael lived at Langside Road, first at no. 50 then to 220.
Patrick Devine took over the pub in 1929- 30.
John D McLaughlin was another publican to hold the licence during the 1930s.
James Pearson 1940s - 50s.
One of the last licence holders was a lady called Elizabeth D H Pitt. The history of this old pub started with a female licence holder and finished with one.