Jack's Bar & Lounge.195 London Road, Calton, Glasgow.
Jack's Bar, August 2006.
Jack's Bar. 1991.
The history of Jacks Bar can be traced back to 1862. Well known Cambuslang and Glasgow Wine and Spirit Merchant William Cook was the first licensee. William lived in the Cairns, Cambuslang and had a tavern there too called Cook's.
His son William also traded in Cambuslang and Glasgow. Between them they owned some of the best bars in the area, including., 169 Canning Street (London Road), Cathcart Road, Gorbals, Abercromby Street, Gallowgate, Clyde Street, Calton, South Albion Street (Albion Street). Old Mr Cook traded as a tavern keeper and wine and spirit merchant from the early 1840s.
William Cook traded here until 1883 and the business was taken over by William Speirs.
William Speirs and his wife lived at 58 Whitevale Street, off the Gallowgate. When William passed away his wife then took control of the pub until 1893.
In 1892 a well known Watchmaker & Jeweller family took over the old pub. Mrs S Vogt became the licensee while her son Joseph ran the pub. The Vogt family had a business at 200 North Street and 225 Great Western Road selling top quality watches and jewellery, they lived next door to the shop in North Street.
Mrs Vogt's other son Robert was a famous bicycle racer, he had his own business too as a Cycle Agent at 225 Great Western Road. They all lived at 196 North Street.
In 1894 his brother Joseph took over the old public house licence for premises at 7 Great Hamilton Street now known as London Road a pub which stood a few doors away from the famous Old Burnt Barns.
Robert like his brother fancied the new life style of being a Glasgow publican and acquired his own premises from John McNee’s old pub at 102 Norfolk Street which sat at the corner of South Portland Street.
Robert was a talented craftsman and one of Glasgow’s famous cyclists not only in Scotland but had trophies from all over Europe. He had won over 500 prizes nearly all firsts from cycle tracks all over the country and abroad. Apart from all this he was an ardent Volunteer and a member of the 1st L R V, during this period he gained third prize for his shooting skills at the Wapinshaw.
World Champion Cyclist, Robert A Vogt standing proud with his bicycle and hundreds of Trophies.
More on the Vogt Family...
Robert Anton Vogt was born in Argyle Street and received his education at St. Mungo’s Academy then afterwards spent his last years of education at St. Aloysius School at Garnethill. Robert’s first job was to learn in the trade of cabinet-making with the well known Glasgow firm of Bryce & Martin at Charing Cross. Robert had other things on his mind and lasted only a year in his wood working career.
His mother Sophia had two jewellery businesses in town, young Robert followed in the footsteps in the trade which his family was so long and honourably connected with, the watch making and jewellery trade. His family was one of the city’s renowned clock, watchmakers and jewellers.
The family had a history of German clock making since 1840, having small premises in Saltmarket and traded under the name of Vogt & Fleck. His father Anton and mother Sophia had a large family of five sons and four daughters all of them having been connected with the family business at one time.
Young Robert started his apprenticeship with Hugh Wilkie, a small independent watchmaker at 181 Duke Street, he had what it took to be a great craftsman and obtained first prize and a diploma for his skills. At the great exhibition of 1888 his talent was recognised as he received the highest award and at the East End Exhibition, a diploma and medal for a watch constructed by himself.
On completion of his apprenticeship in 1889 he left to take charge of his mother’s shop, which was carried on by his brother Louis in Great Western Road, before transferring to the other shop at 200 North Street.
Royal Doulton made this tea set for Robert A Vogt.
Other publicans to run this old pub were John McMahon, John Conlin, Victor Cairns (of the Barras market), and June Ferrie.
Mr John (Jack) Conlin took over this pub in the 1949 and renamed it Jack's Bar. Jack Conlin bought the pub from John McMahon in 1949, the pub was very smart with an old wooden polished bar with a brass foot-rail running the full length of the bar.
As you walked into the bar, the public bar was right in front of you. Jack's wife Margaret encouraged him to put ladies toilets in the upstairs part of the bar which turned out to be very successful as women were now allowed in the pub with their husbands or boyfriends.
Interior view of Jack's Bar with Margaret and John (Jack) Conlin.
During and after the Second World War Jack worked in Frank Kelly's Pop Inn Bar, Cowcaddens. Frank also owned a well known bar called the House of Lords were Jack Conlin must have worked now and again when staff were short. Jack Conlin gave up the trade when he took a stroke in the 1960s.
Mr and Mrs Conlin's daughters Marie and Rita were not encouraged to go to the bar, however both of them worked in the bar from time to time when Jack held private business affairs in the bar. The girls loved to work in the bar as the tip were good.
Front Marie and Patsy with their husbands in the back. Photo taken in Jack's Bar.
Marie and husband standing outside Jack's Bar.
In 1970 the Barras Market boss Victor W Cairns took over as licensee and let the pub out to various publicans.
The pub had a name change, "The Foggy Dew" 2012.
The Foggy Dew, 97 London Road.
A NOTORIOUS pub has become the first in Glasgow to be shut down with immediate effect after a crisis meeting. The Foggy Dew was closed at an emergency hearing of the city's licensing board.
Police Scotland asked licensing chiefs to review the licence after alleged "serious violence" and "sectarian, religious prejudice behaviour" within the premises.
Officers claimed the London Road bar should be closed after a string of incidents, including an alleged serious assault at the weekend.
The licensing board heard how police said there was a "lack of co-operation from management and licence holder" at the East End pub.
Chief Inspector Hilary Sloan said: "The management has completely failed to engage with us and that's a big issue for us. We can't predict what may happen in future.
The Foggy Dew, 195 London Road.
"But there's a likelyhood that there will be further disorder as they have not taken on board any of the recommendations made by us."
She asked for the closure order to be imposed for "sufficient time "for Police Scotland to return to the board for a review hearing of the premises.
It is the first time that closure order powers, within the licensing legislation, have been used in Glasgow Granting the order, Councillor Bill Butler said: "The board is satisfied that a closure order is necessary to prevent crime and disorder and secure public safety."
The pub was named after a famous Irish ballad and was popular with both locals and city visitors. However, the bar caused controversy when it held a party to 'celebrate' the death of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
Police launched an investigation into the event after footage appeared on the internet.
Archie McIver, the solicitor appearing for the licence holder, East End Catering, told the board he had been instructed not to oppose any motion by the police.
The Foggy Dew's designated premises manager, Lloyd Ingram, did not attend the hearing and no-one appeared on his behalf.
The Foggy Dew did not last for long. After a short closure the pub was reverted back to Jacks Bar.