Old Glasgow Pubs.co.uk

[ skip to navigation ]
Old Glasgow Pubs by john gorevan


Gallocher's Bar.

32 Raglan Street, Glasgow.

Family portrait of Frank Gallocher and is family circa 1909

Frank Gallocher with his wife Helen and mother Ann Docherty with their kids. circa 1909. Thanks to Walter Gallocher.

Licensed premises have been on this site since 1872 when D & M McFarlane traded here. The pub sat at the corner of 32 Raglan Street and 2-4 Braco Street.

Malcolm McFarlane the senior partner lived a 3 Braco Street. The brothers continued trading here until 1879.

Wine & Spirit Merchants William Neilson Shaw then took over. Mr Shaw also ran a public house at 19 William Street, Anderston. He lived in the exclusive Star Hotel in Port Glasgow. William N Shaw continued as licensee until 1907.

The licence was then granted to Frank Gallocher a prosperous Wine and Spirit Merchant businessman who also ran a public house at 136 Abbotsford Place (later known as the Moreen Bar) in an exclusive part of the Gorbals area. Frank was living at 14 Devon Street before moving to Damien Villa, Rosendale Road, Pollokshaws.

Frank passed away in 1915, the licence was transfered to William Browne McAulay as one of the trustees of his estate.

Over the next 50 years quite a few well known publicans owned this great pub including, William B McAuley, who took over in 1921 to 1927. William was also secretary for "Gordon & Blair" (1923) Ltd, Edinburgh Brewers.

James Webster 1928 to 1937, was yet another well known and respected Gorbals publican to own this pub. James Webster was also a valued member of the Scottish Licensed Trade. Another member of his family Alexander G Webster had premises at 4 Braco Street as an Accountant and Valuer and sold the pub to Michael Roper.

Next to own the premises was Michael and James Roper. The Roper's had public houses all over the city including, Mathieston Street, Neptune Street, Norfolk Street, and Port Dundas Road.

After the Roper's yet another well known Gorbals publican to ran this old pub, Charles Sweeney 1950s, a cousin of Hugh Gallagher. Hugh Gallagher was one of the last publican's to run this old pub before the demolition of most of the Street in the mid 1960s.


Go to top of page