The Gael Vaults.48 Clyde Place, Glasgow.
The old Gael Vaults was founded by James Walsh in 1866, but under a different name the "Sydney Arms." Mr Walsh also resided in Clyde Street with his wife and children, Mrs Walsh succeeded her husband as licensee, she sold the business in 1879 to Patrick Lyons. After a few other landlords the pub had a face-lift, the interior was reconstructed by Wine & Spirit Merchant James McSporran, a new name was put above the door too, which was McSporran's Bar.
Mr McSporran continued to serve the locals here until 1892, Robert Struthers then acquired the business and changed the name to the Gael Vaults. Mr Struthers' father was a well-known publican in the Bridgegate. Before taking over the Gael Vaults Robert was employed in Sammy Dow's. After five years in Clyde Place Mr Struthers sold the pub to James Black, who continued as licensee until 1902.
The next license holder was a gentleman called John C Douglas, he paid an annul rent of £49.00. Mr Douglas was the last publican on the premises which closed down in 1909. A Tin-Plate & Zinc works moved in which was owned by Alex and Robert Holmes. In 1899 there was eight pubs on Clyde Place, this number was halved by the time the Gael Vaults closed down.