247 Duke Street, Glasgow.
Duke Street with the Dunchattan Arms on the left hand side.
There has been a public house on this site since the 1860s. Spirit merchant Thomas Stewart was proprietor then. In 1875 well known wine and spirit merchant James Dewar was licensee, he also had pubs at 48 Commerce Street, 227 Cowcaddens, 225 New City Road, 1 Port Dundas Road and 27 West Russell Street.
During the early part of the 1890s Donald Cameron wine merchant ran this successful pub. He lived nearby at 233 Duke Street.
On 13th April 1899 Alfred Ernest Howard took over the licence paying an annul rent of £75.00.
The pub closed down for a while during the First World War after Daniel Stewart ran the pub. However the premises were opened up again and was successfully operated by publican Donald MacDonald, he also owned a great pub at 39-41 Scotia Street. Donald ran the two pubs until the 1950s.
Many will still remember Michael Scanlan who ran the pub in the 1960s when the photograph above was taken.
In 1972 Edward John Barnes was running the pub for the brewers, he was also licencee of 115b-115c West Nile Street (Iron Horse) and a pub at 26-30 Cottar Street. Mr Barnes was one of the last licensee's to run the pub before it was demolished inh the 70s.
Some of the principal office-bearers of the Glasgow Licensed Trade Defence Association photographed on the occasion of their annual outing to St Andrews. Included in the group are Mr James Denholm, president, and Mrs Denholm; Mr P B Jackson, vice-president, and Mrs Jackson; Mr Archibald McNiven, vice-president, and Mrs McNiven; Mr Peter Pirie, Mr John Holmes, Mr Kenneth McLean and Mrs McLean, Mr Michael Scanlan, secretary of the Glasgow Vintners Association, and Mrs Scanlan; Mr P at McKay, Mrs McGinlay, Mrs J Young, Mrs Gray, Mrs D Menzies. July 1935.