The District Bar.252 Paisley Road West, Glasgow. G51 1BS.Tel: 01414275151.
The District Bar. 1991.
This bar opened in 1959 with an Italian influence and was named The Three Coins in the Fountain.
A fountain was situated in the centre of the lounge, made from stone and mounted by three lions modelled on the original of the Trevi fountain in Rome. Concealed lighting beneath made the cascading water sparkle like a rainbow. The interior decor featured attractive woods, concealed floodlights and scenic wallpaper in which depicted the Doge's Palace, the canal and the Cathedral of Venice.
Customers would throw coins into the fountain and make a wish, all proceedings went to various charities. This new enterprise was the makings of McKinlay and Lombardi Glasgow Ltd, Denis McKinlay was licensee. The opening night was performed by W B Gow president of the Scottisg Licensed Trade Association.
The whole Rangers Football team must have been here, G McLean, D Provan and R McKinnon prepare to push the pile of coins into the waiting hands of Rev. D Drysdale. 1964.
Other Glasgow Rangers players making a wish, J Baxter, R Brand, J Millar and N Martin.
Joseph M Lombardi, JP and director of McKinlay and Lombardi Glasgow Ltd, dropping a coin into the fountain, Mr Denis McKinlay licensee at the rear centre, Mr William B Gow, president of the SLTA with the chain, Mr John McKinlay, director of McKinlay and Lombardi Glasgow Ltd on the right. 1959.
Also see Mr W B Gow at the Cross Keys.