40 Port Dundas Road, Glasgow.
Bennet's bar was named after licensee W J Bennet who ran the pub in the 1960s.
This was a very old establishment known for many years as Gilmour's. James Gilmour took over the old pub in 1892 which was formerly occupied by Peter MacIndoe from 1875.
Mr Gilmour was born in the east end of the city and moved with his parents to Rothesay, where he received his education under Mr George Grant a well known and respected dominie of his time. There being no school board regulations in those days, young Gilmour started work in the spinning mills at the age of eight. Moving back to Glasgow in 1852, his first acquaintance with the trade was in Wellpark Brewery, Duke Street, where he worked for almost five years in the bottling department. He then moved to join the staff of James Dickson, bottling and aerated water manufacturer in Graham Square, off the Gallowgate. He then moved on to other bonded stores in the city, completing twenty five years in the liquor trade.
James then moved on to a new trade and directed his energies into an apprenticeship with John Nairn & Son, box makers, North Frederick Street, Glasgow. He was living in lodgings at Mary Wylie's house in Dundas Street, she was a widow living with her three daughters and to make ends meet, she let three beds out. one to Mr Gilmour, Robert Simpson a joiner from Lesmahagow and James Lightbody a clerk in the spirit trade, he was an Englishman.
James acquired his first public house at 40 Port Dundas Road in 1892.
James Gilmour regularly spent summer holidays in Rothesay, the island where he was brought up as a boy. He was a member of the Royal Ash Lodge of Foresters and a member of John Street U.F. Church. He was also involved in the Benevolent, Defence and the St. Rollox Trade Associations.
James rented the property from the Caledonian Railway Company, he paid an annul rent of £32 for the pub in 1902.
Another well known spirit merchant to own the pub was John Alston, he was born in John Street, Glasgow and attended St. David's School, when he left he entered into the butchering trade, in the employment of John McLardy. He left hear to join the staff at Moore Street, slaughter house where he remained for seven year. Very ambitious, he opened a butcher's shop in Dalmarnock Road for five years. He left here to open his first public house at 69 Naburn Street, south side, he still dealt in the meat market in Moore Street while still attending the pub. He then opened another public house at 86 Port Dundas Road in 1897, gutting the old pub and installing brand new equipment and refurbishing the old premises.
This pub was demolished around 1912 and John acquired the licence for 40 Port Dundas Road shortly afterwards. John married Miss Clark, daughter of Andrew Clark, farmer, High Possil Farm, Bishopbriggs in the late 1880's.
James O Omand was another well known publican in this pub, he ran the pub in the 1930s until the 1950s, he was also well known in the Popinjay Bar, Stockwell Street during the 1960s. James was a car fanatic, he was known to have a car for years, a novelty in those days, however on Sat 25th April 1959, he was stopped by a police officer outside the pub in Stockwell Street while driving his car under the influence. He was summoned to the sheriff court and convicted and fined £10, for driving a motor car registration number JWD901 while under the influence of drink to such an extent that he was incapable of proper control of the car.